What Makes Brown Advisory Different
We provide investment solutions to individuals, families and institutions in all 50 U.S. states and in 37 countries and territories around the world. We are deeply committed to our clients, and focus exclusively on helping them plan and implement thoughtful investment strategies. This focus extends to the retirees, students, nonprofit beneficiaries and many others who may never meet us but nevertheless depend on us as trusted stewards of capital.
Brown Advisory is a private, independent investment and strategic advisory firm. Our mission is to make a material and positive difference for our clients by delivering a combination of first-class investment performance, strategic advice and the highest level of service.
We believe that providing clients with thoughtful, strategic advice, rooted in an active listening process, is increasingly valuable in a world that consistently encourages them to react to the latest news event or trend. We embed dedicated strategic advisors in many client relationships; these strategic advisors have deep expertise in tax planning, trust and estate planning, accounting, business advisory and other topics, and they are essential in our effort to provide holistic financial guidance to clients.
A Private Firm with a Shared Ownership Structure
Brown Advisory has been a private firm since its founding in 1993. Every colleague is an equity owner, and together our colleagues own approximately 70% of the firm. The remaining 30% is owned by select outside investors who provide insight, perspective and stability. All of these owners are aligned in the desire to build a firm that puts clients above all else.
We are a firm of 650+ people, eleven offices, six primary client segments, nearly 40 groups and countless teams. Transparency is critical so that we can all operate from the same playbook. We share meeting minutes from all operating committee meetings with all colleagues, so we collectively understand decision-making as it filters through the organization. Additionally, our intranet platform, B|Advised, draws on modern sharing and collaboration tools to enable rapid information transfer as well as open, firmwide conversations on topics ranging from investments to diversity and inclusion.
Diversity & Inclusion
Brown Advisory should be an environment that mirrors the fabric of the communities in which we work and live—one that supports colleagues in their effort to contribute at the highest level and reach their potential. We know that this will be a continuous journey—success is a progression, not a point in time. We will always be asking ourselves, “What's next?”
A "Morning Meeting" Mindset
Our Morning Meeting is a cultural cornerstone at Brown Advisory. Every morning, we gather the entire firm—each office gathers in person, and all offices connect via video conference—to discuss a topic or idea that is relevant to our investment thinking or to the culture of the firm. We ring the bell to start the meeting at 8:35 a.m. Eastern Time. The meeting represents many facets of our culture that we hold dear: thoughtful discussion, active listening, flat organization, collegial atmosphere and encouragement of new ideas.